Tuesday 19 March 2013

Is it a NEED or just a WANT?


Recently, I found myself saying things like:
''I need a cream blouse'' 
''I need a clutch bag'' 
''I need a pair of wedges''

After saying all these and much more, the next thing I asked myself was,
 'Ore, do you really need a pair of wedges or do you just want a pair?'

Notice the two words I have underlined above: need and want.

Is there really a difference between these two words?
Are they synonyms so therefore can they be used interchangeably?

NO! NO!! NO!!!
There is a BIG difference and they CANNOT be used interchangeably.

Okay then you probably ask, what is a need?
A need is a necessity.
A necessity is something that is indispensable - crucial, of paramount importance and is incapable of being neglected.

And what is a want?
A want is a feel, a desire, a wish or a craving for something.

So, I don't need a clutch bag or a pair of wedges, neither do I need a cream blouse. I only wish for/desire them.

Therefore using the words need or want interchangeably becomes a misconception of our priorities.

A need that is common to us all is: food, water and shelter.
These are often said to be the basic necessities of life. 
After this, the remaining things/people in your need list become personal to you.

So remember, if you can live without it then you probably don't need it.
You only want it.


Right about now, I will say shikena but you won't understand unless you're fully Nigerian.                      ( I mean flesh and blood )

But still, SHIKENA!! :)

Till next time lovelies x



No comments:

Post a Comment